Hi friends, SQL Server 2016 CTP 3 is available now and it can be downloaded on Azure. So I tried to install SQL 2016 CTP 3 on Microsoft Azure this time. In this blog I will guide you to install SQL Server 2016 CTP 3 on Microsoft Azure. Primary thing for this is you should have an account of Microsoft Azure before doing any installation. If you don’t have Azure account you can Sign Up and create an account for a month as a free trial.
I already have SQL Server 2016 CTP 2 version on my laptop but this time to install it on Azure, I also first created a trail account on Microsoft Azure and then install SQL Server 2016 CTP 3 version.
To download the SQL Server CTP 3 on Azure visit the download page at Microsoft site –
- Expand the SQL Server 2016 CTP 3 on Azure at above given site and expand the download section.
2. Click on Sign In to login into your Azure account.
3. After login, download window appear. Select a deployment model and click on By default, it select Classic so I didn’t make any changes and go with it.
4. After this, it will ask you to create a new virtual machine. Enter a name for new virtual machine in Hostname and also provide Username and password to login into new virtual machine. I entered the name of new VM as SQL2016.
5. While creating Virtual Machine, you can also change your Location. By default it is selected as East US. In my case I changed it to SouthEast Asia.
6. At the time of creating VM you can change your pricing and storage as per your requirement. By default, it was selected as Standard_DS12 which comes with 4 core CPU and 28 GB storage.
7. In resource group, name your new resource group. Be default it is Group and I kept that only.
8. Click on Create button after filling all the information. It will start creating SQL Server 2016 CTP 3 on new VM.
9. Once VM is created, you can verify it in Virtual Machines section located at left pane of the window.
10. Now, to login into the VM click on Connect option present at bottom pane of window. A file with name with extension .rdp gets downloaded. I checked in my downloads section and find a file woth name rdp.
11. Double click on SQL2016.rdp file. A remote desktop connection window pop ups on your screen. Click on Connect.
12. After clicking on connect, it will ask for credentials that you provided while creating VM. Click on OK button.
13. You will login into new VM. Select Microsoft SQL Server Management studio in Apps window and click on it to open SSMS window.
14. SQL Server 2016 CTP 3 window is opened now.
15. Enter the login credentials and click on Connect in SSMS.
Now, playground is ready to play with new features of SQL Server 2016.
So friends, these are steps you need to follow to install the SQL Server 2016 CTP 3 version on Azure. Hope you like this post.