We need to collect inventory for database migration as well as platform to set up environment for migration, development and testing.
Is there any tool from Microsoft to achieve this scenario?
Yes, we have Microsoft Assessment and Planning Tool (MAP) for it.
The Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit is an inventory, assessment, and reporting tool that helps you assess your current IT infrastructure and determine the right Microsoft technologies for your IT needs. The MAP toolkit uses Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS), SMS Provider, and other technologies to collect data in your environment and inventories computer hardware, software, and operating systems in small or large IT environments without installing any agent software on the target computers.
In order for the MAP Toolkit to successfully connect and inventory computers in your environment, you have to configure your machines through WMI and also allow your firewall to enable remote access through WMI. In addition to enabling WMI, you need accounts with administrative privileges to access desktops and servers in your environment.
Download and Install MAP tool
You can download Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=313396
Once the MAP tool is installed SQL Server LocalDB gets installed by default.
Latest Version of MAP tool is 9.4
MAP 9.4 is updated to inventory, assess and report the SQL Server 2016 instances and components in the SQL Server assessment.
- After opening it Create inventory database which will be used to save the inventory data and statistics inside it when working with MAP tool.
2. Once you opened the MAP tool in the Create or Select a Database to Use dialog click Create an inventory database and type student as a new database name and click OK.
Student database is created successfully and message will also appears for this.
3. To enable the remote administration open the Command Prompt as Run As Administrator.
Type the following command and press enter, you will get the message OK in response.
netsh advfirewall set currentprofile settings remotemanagement enable
4. This is home screen for MAP tool which allow the different options to collect the inventory data for Server, Desktop, Cloud etc.
MAP toolkit uses WMI, Active Directory Domain Services, SQL Server Commands, VMware web services, Oracle client, PowerShell and SSH with remote shell commands to collect the inventory information from the target network machines. It is not required to have the MAP tool on the target machine to collect the inventory.
5. Click on Database option from left side pane
6. Now click on Collect Inventory Data link, an Inventory and Assessment Wizard window opens.
You can choose the scenarios on your choice to collect the inventory with various scenarios available:
- Windows-based computers
- Linux-based computers
- VMware computers
- Exchange Server
- Active Devices and users
- Forefront Endpoint Protection Server
- Lync Server
- SQL Server
- SQL Server with database details
- Windows Azure Platform Migration
- MySQL, Oracle, and Sybase
7. Choose option SQL Server and SQL Server with Database Details as Inventory Scenario.
8. Click Next.
Discovery Methods tab appears which is used to discover computers. Various discovery methods available for selection of method-
- Active Directory® Domain Services
- Windows networking protocols
- System Center Configuration Manager
- Scan an IP address range
- Manually enter computer names and credentials
- Import computer names from a file
9. Select option Manually enter computer names and credentials.
10. Now in All Computer Credentials page, click Create.
11. In the Account Entry dialog, type the username for the local computer user
12. In both the Password and Confirm Password fields, type the password for the local computer user then click Save
13. In the All Computer Credentials Page, click
14. Click Next in the Credentials Order
15. In the Enter Computers Manually page, click Next.
16. Now, in Specify computers and credentials page enter your computer name and Click on Add.
You can add multiple computer names here as per your requirement.
17. Click on Save
18. Then Clicking on Next button will take you on Summary section.
19. In Summary section you can see the summary of your selection including any detected errors.
20. Click on Finish
21. Inventory and Assessment Windows appears on screen where you can see the progress of Data collection.
How to generate reports to get SQL Server DB information?
To generate the report, we will click on SQL Server from Database scenario.
In the option section two types of reports can be generated:
- Generate SQL Server Assessment Report
- Generate SQL Server Database Detail Report
Click on any report and save to your local disk.
These two reports shows different type of information which are like –
- SQL Server Assessment Report
This report shows information about Database Instances and Components.
2. SQL Server Database Detail Report
This report provides an information of all the SQL Server database engine instances and number of databases discovered on your network.
So, in this way we can use MAP tool to collect the inventory and statistics.